Monsoons are the time when your body gets vulnerable and is prone to infections and diseases. Here are some nutritional tips that you can follow to counter the ill effects of the season on your health and build immunity.
- Eat fruits as they help you restore energy. It is better to eat seasonal fruits as non- seasonal fruits get infested with worms during the monsoons. Apples, mangoes, pomegranates, and pears are your best bet.
- Have medium to low salt food and avoid heavy salty food as they are responsible for high blood pressure and water retention.
- Eating watery foods like lassi, watermelon, rice, muskmelon creates swelling in the body. So, better opt for foods which are drying in nature like corn, gram flour, chickpea etc.
- Take foods which have high amount of fiber and protein such as brown rice, multigrain rotis, oats, and barley.
- Always boil water before use and store it in a covered container. Use long handle mugs to avoid hand contact with water while fetching water.
- Drink lots of herbal teas, especially those with antibacterial properties. These include ginger, pepper, honey, mint and basil leaves. Excessive intake of coffee and tea dehydrates body fluids so they are better avoided.
- Body’s immunity can be increased by adding a dash of garlic to soups, stir fries and curries.
- Opt for yogurt, curd and almonds in your diet instead of milk.
- People who face skin allergies during rainy seasons must avoid spicy foods. Spicy foods raise body temperature and stimulate blood circulation and it leads to allergies and skin irritation.
- Consuming bitter vegetables like bitter gourd, and bitter herbs like neem, turmeric powder and fenugreek seeds help in preventing infections.
- Consume drying oils like corn oil or light oil and avoid heavy oils like sesame oil, peanut oil and mustard oil as they fall in first place to invite infections.
- Avoid naturally sour foods like tamarind, tomatoes and lime in your diet as it promotes water retention.
- Avoid too much of fish and meat this season. Prefeably, non- vegetarians should go for light meat preparations like stew and soups.
- Vegetables like cauliflower, potatoes, cluster beans, okra, kidney beans, pigeon pea, and sprouted grains must be avoided.
- Eat steamed salads instead of raw vegetables as they contain active bacteria and virus that cause bacterial and viral infections.
- Avoid eating fried items, pre- cut fruits and juices from roadside vendors and stick to high quality and hygiene.
- Always wash vegetables well and keep them clean especially if they are taken raw.
- Enhance immunity by eating more green leafy vegetables, whole fruits, foods rich in antioxidants, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Selenium, Zinc and B12, B6 and folic acid.
- Add a clove of garlic to soups, sir fries and curries since it helps in increasing immunity.
- Consume vegetables like bitter gourd, and medicinal herbs like neem, turmeric powder and methi seeds that boost your immunity.
Taking the necessary nutritional steps will help you stay healthy and hearty in this season. So, sit back and relax in this beautiful weather, probably with a cup of coffee. Did we mention that we have some amazing coffee powder on our website – www.flexprotein.in ?